Q. Can I send a child home for bad behaviour until his parent comes in for a meeting? They’re not formally excluded so what do I put in the register?


A. There is no mark for an ‘unofficial’ (or ‘illegal’) exclusion.

You can only ‘send a child home’ for the remainder of the same day, using Code C (with suitable provision agreed for their safety). After that, you must formally impose an exclusion: that can only be for a fixed period, or permanently. It cannot be open-ended pending some action by the parent.

Once an exclusion period is over, the pupil must be allowed to return. Remember, too, that full-time alternative provision must be made by the sixth day of any continuous period of exclusion. These are all authorised absences for which parents cannot be held legally liable.

The answer is only available to Premium (Plus) subscribers
Please login or subscribe to read the whole article.
Share this post:

About Author

Ben Whitney

Ben Whitney is an independent education welfare consultant and trainer, with over 20 years’ experience in attendance management for two local authorities. He is the author of several books on both attendance and child protection. More information on his current training and consultancy services can be found at www.ben-whitney.org.uk.

Comments are closed.